Surprising Health Benefits of Marijuana
With the legalization of cannabis (also known as ‘marijuana’) a hot topic across the U.S., it might seem relevant to dig deeper into some of the proven health benefits associated with the drug.
It is important to distinguish between the two main active chemicals found in cannabis:
- THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis. This means that it is responsible for the sensation of ‘getting high’, that is usually experienced when taking cannabis.
- CBD (cannabidiol) is not a psychoactive ingredient, but it can still impact the brain. CBD can be extracted from the cannabis plant to be used in drinks, gummies, medicines and other trending CBD products. CBD oil is a popular product amongst those who search for health benefits from cannabis, without experiencing any psychoactive effects caused by THC.
What are the surprising health benefits of CBD oil?
Since CBD oil is being taken by many people in different forms, it is worth exploring some of the lesser-known health benefits of the drug:
- It can improve cardiac health. Back in 2014, researchers in the United Kingdom found that CBD oil can help to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, strokes and heart attacks. These results were initially observed in animal studies, before these scientists discovered that they could also be applied to humans, since human blood vessels would also relax and dilate.
- It can help skin conditions. Whether you suffer from eczema or simply want healthier skin, using CBD oil topically can help to promote the shedding of older skin and the generation of newer skin cells.
- A potential help in the fight against cancer. While not recognized as a cure for the disease, CBD has been shown to prevent the division of cancer cells and reduce the risk of cancer cells penetrating healthy tissue, thus slowing the spread of cancer around the body.
What are the surprising benefits of THC and cannabis itself?
Some U.S. states have legalized cannabis. If you live somewhere where cannabis and THC (the main psychoactive ingredient) are legal to consume, here are some surprising health benefits you might find:
- Delta 8 THC has been shown to help people sleep, reducing the effects of insomnia. This ingredient helps induce a calmer state, without getting you too high.
- Marijuana might slow down Alzheimer’s. Back in 2006, it was discovered that cannabis has the ability to block a key enzyme responsible for the progression of Alzheimer’s Disease. It can also help to prevent protein clumps from building in the brain, which are usually responsible for dementia.
- It can help with concussions. Research has also indicated a relationship between cannabis and neuroprotective qualities. This means that neurological damage could be limited after trauma. The commissioner of the NFL has already considered approving the usage of medical marijuana to limit neurological damage amongst football players, if it were proven to be effective.
Jack Vale is a writer from Happy Writers, Co. in partnership with stethoscope distributor, Stethoscope.com